Discover the magic
The perfect place
Relax and enjoy
Go wild go beyond
Where mountains echo
Rhino Retreat Clarens is 100% pet friendly!
Our entire family is made up of animal lovers and that is why Rhino Retreat Clarens is 100% pet friendly.
We want you to enjoy our home and bring your entire family (including the furry ones) to enjoy the fresh air, the mountain walks and everything else that we have to offer!
It’s because of our own love for animals, that we met the wonderful team from the Cluny Animal Trust.
We support them as much as we can, and that is where the idea for the Pack for Paws initiative came from. It is a simple idea (completely voluntary) that can make a huge impact and it helps to support animal veterinary welfare.
The Cluny Animal Trust are a small team of 8 people, who work tirelessly by providing much needed veterinary care to animals of the poor here in the eastern Free State.
They don’t get any funding from the Government or the Lotto and they rely solely on donations.
Check out their Facebook page and see what they are able to achieve (with very little), it will astound you.
When you are booking and staying at the self-catering Rhino Retreat Clarens, you’ll probably need to go shopping for your trip! So, all you need to do is pick up a few of the items from their Wishlist, and then use any leftover space that you have in your suitcase or car boot to pack supplies that they desperately need and bring them with you to Clarens.
In our pantry, you’ll find a wicker basket with a Pack for Paws tag. Pop anything you would like to donate into the basket and we’ll make sure that all the donated items get to the Cluny team.
It’s as easy as that!
Cluny Animal Trust Wishlist Items:
- Dog or cat food (it can be tinned food, but dry food is best) - any brand, they really aren’t fussy!
- De-wormers for both dogs and cats
- Tick and flea medication and/or tick and flea shampoos
- Old blankets and towels (always needed), of course they would love new ones but happy to take whatever they can get
- Collars and leads (any size, please note that regarding collars, ones with old fashioned buckles are best. Sadly, the plastic snap ones, many people don’t understand how to resize them, and this can lead to the collar becoming ingrown into the skin, which then leads to more problems and work for the team)
- Food and water bowls
- Toys (for dogs but cats like and appreciate them too)
- Newspapers, these are used to line animal cages in their clinic
- Automatic washing powder (they always have a lot to clean and launder)
- Rolls of black bags
- Any old carrying cages or pets’ beds that you don’t want or need
Donation ideas for Cluny 2nd Hand Bookstore
- CDs, etc
Donation ideas for Cluny Thrift Shop (open once a month in Kgubetswana, Clarens)
- Household items (in good order)